May 14, 2009

Final project Slides

Here's the slides to my show.


So I sped through my presentation and I know that I left out some important points. I was nervous, I needed water and I was trying to be in two places at once. Anyway, a major point that I don't think I brought up about the need for the bios is the fact that the number of women with careers in the fields of science, math and engineering are far fewer in numbers than men. However, those numbers are increasing, which is great, but it doesn't represent everyone. There are even fewer women of color with careers and teaching positions in the field of science. So the the SEPAL department created the Spectrum program as a means to brings science into the many schools (and lives) of many young girls, who may not have felt like they can achieve or aspire towards this type of career. The video bios help to provide a visual supplement, in the form of the stories of these women who have 'made it possible' to overcome and achieve the impossible. Using Youtube the clubs can have access to these bios with the hopes of encouraging, inspiring, and activating the interests of young girls, all with the click of a mouse.


I enjoyed this class and I learned a lot about Web 2.0 technology, more than if I was on my own. There are a lot of really great and inspiring projects and I expect that we will be hearing about or using some these projects in the future. Congratulations to the fortunate people who are graduating and the best of luck to everyone in the class.
DEiDRE

No comments:

Post a Comment