April 2, 2009

Web 2.0 Conference 4/02/09

The conference was interesting and a bit overwhelming, I went by my lonesome. There were so many stations that I didn't know where to start, so I did a lap.

I did find a few things that were pretty interesting, for instance a software called SpatialKey. It's a "SpatialKey is a next generation Information Visualization, Mapping, Analysis and Reporting System. It is designed to help organizations quickly assess location based information critical to their organizational goals, decision making processes and reporting requirements." That is from the web site.
"http://www.spatialkey.com/features/"
At the conference the demo showed how crime statistics data could be researched across the country. It looked similar to the wikimapia website that Zack had talked about during his presentation.

ooVoo 2.0: I really liked the idea of a video chat client that you can talk with up to 6 people at a time. I've worked with video conferencing at work and it's just a one-to-one call, but this software would allow for multiple conference calls at a a time. I got to talk with a few people at the demo (they were on the east coast) and ask them a few questions. The video and sound quality were really good and the pricing seemed really affordable. What was also really nice about the video chat software is you can record the video calls, add effects and it's compatible with Mac and PC.
"http://www.oovoo.com/"

Another interesting group that I came across at the conference was another software that organizes all of the different social sites that people subscribe to, it's called Nomee. However, this particular site allows you to "follow people, not sites."
"http://www.nomee.com/about_nomee.html"

Lastly, I was kind of surprised at how the beer began and martini's began to flow towards the end of the conference. Heineken still doesn't taste good to me, so I settled for a free Sobe. I'm sure the end of conference was very interesting and quite sauced, so I cut out early.

2 comments:

  1. Denodo Software

    Denodo is a software company based in Palo Alto, CA with offices in Spain, the UK and Boston. Their focus is fairly widespread across disciplines (life science, communications, marketing, high tech) with all of their relations surrounding data management and integration. I was initially drawn to them, because I had heard they were moving into the same space as the company I currently work for, IO Informatics. Their focus had not been on data integration and management for the life science industry until recently, and this move has put them into our scope.

    Basically, their company takes data from any source (public, internal) no matter the type or format, and organizes and wraps it into a “cloud computing” format, allowing users from any location access the information. They claim that it enables decisions to be made faster, and with more accurate information and I wager that this is true. Information access and stratification are keys to the success of any organization and they seem to perform this task incredibly well.

    One of the most interesting parts of the demonstration the Sales VP showed me (he was a little hesitant to show me a lot after he saw what company I was with – they’re going to be at the same conference I will be at in Boston in late April) but they have a public source monitoring service which automatically alerts you if particular information of interest changes online. For example, if you are using population data for a sales report, you can set up an alert for the web service that will notify you if the data is updated or changed in any way, and the amount of which it has been altered (and by whom!). This could be immensely useful if you are citing particular information for a report or using said information to make a decision.

    This kind of information sharing is really great. They also have services that filter, process and work with access of data. But those are things that any basic data management company can provide. I just wanted to highlight some of the differences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked ooVoo, too!

    At first I really liked nomee. From the user's perspective, you can see only what you want to see of your friends' and colleagues' data streams. I really liked the idea that your social networks could be aggregated. Whew! About time!

    I also liked how you could group your friends' data streams into different boxes.

    However, I am still waiting for something that allows me to specify who gets to see what. I want to be able to update my status and select which group gets to see that status update. As my husband's grandmother said, "that way only specific people get to see your raunchy jokes." LOL! But that's basically true.

    ReplyDelete